No matter what tech skill you're hiring for, you'll need some way to assess your candidates. It's essential to see if they'd be a good fit and able to complete the job. Unlike some other professions, resumes aren't very helpful in assessing tech talent. Coding assessment tools have been widely adopted by tech companies to test the technical skills of prospective developers. There are numerous platforms to choose from, each with its own advantages and disadvantages.
The bad news is wading through different screening programs can be as overwhelming as the stack of applications you're trying to get through. The good news, however, is that there's a solution no matter what the size of your company or budget is.
We've rounded up the top 30 platforms for screening programming candidates, including everything from basic screening to deep evaluation. We've also laid out the features and benefits of each. Read over the summaries to learn which platform is the best option for you when evaluating software engineers to join your team. The list is ordered by average ratings on Capterra or G2.
Filtered helps companies shift from resume-based to skill-based hiring. Take advantage of their targeted workflow to spend time interviewing the most qualified candidates. Their platform lets you choose from their project-based template, your own custom template, or you can upload your job description for automated efficiency.
- Authentication through professional profiles such as Linkedin, Github, Bitbucket, Gitlab, or Facebook so you'll know the individual taking the test is the real candidate
- Tests for over 30 languages, covering multiple skill levels in each discipline
- Ranks candidates against a benchmark and includes evaluations of coding time, execution time, memory usage, and code quality
- Provides you with a leaderboard of all candidates
- Live video and technical interviewing interface
- Starter package is free
Filtered is best for companies who are looking to hire at scale and need strict candidate verification. It's a good option for companies who are getting ready to hire but aren't sure what gaps need to be covered. Screening your existing developers also allows you to identify any tech skills gaps and focus on hiring to cover them.
G2 Rating: 5/5 (10+ reviews)
Toggl Hire offers skills tests beyond development. They also include a range of marketing, sales, and customer service roles. Toggl Hire lets you weed out unqualified candidates and cut your hiring time by 80%.
- Easy-to-use template model for choosing which skills to test
- Ability to customize the testing process for specific roles
- Intuitive UI that allows you to share the tests you've created with candidates directly
- Free 14-day trial — prices then include a free forever plan, $159 per month for a standard plan, or a premium plan for $259 per month
Toggl Hire is ideal for companies who are hiring for a range of positions and need skills tests outside of the typical developer tests.
Capterra Rating: 5/5 (6+ reviews)
Tests4Geeks is a platform that offers programming tests written by experienced developers. These coding tests are designed to be used as a prescreening process so you don't have to waste time interviewing unqualified developers.
- Chose from programming tests across a range of in-demand languages and platforms
- Option to post a link to the test as a prerequisite for candidates applying for a position
- Option to create custom tests or use the in-house library of tests
- Customize tests and/or reports with your own branding
- Unlimited package is $99 per month with a 33% discount for more than one month
Tests4Geeks is a good option for companies that only need to hire developers. Its customizable branding options also make it appealing to recruiters who can provide proof of a candidate's skill.
Capterra Rating: 4.9/5 (14+ reviews)
DevSkiller is a platform that provides skills tests for promoting your existing tech talent as well as hiring new developers. Their testing methodology is designed to test programming skills in a way that mimics real work conditions.
- Customize the skills you want to have tested by choosing from among 4,000 tasks
- Reduce bias in hiring decisions to help create a diverse team
- Identify skill gaps in current developers with TalentBoost
- TalentScore plan starts at $499 per month
- TalentBoost plan starts at $999 per month
This platform is best for companies who need to screen candidates for a wide range of tech skills — not just developing. It's also a good option if you'd like to identify areas of weakness in your current developers to encourage continuing education.
Capterra Rating: 4.8 (44+ reviews)
Sphere Engine lets you create your own coding skills assessments. Using their Application Programming Interfaces (APIs), you can quantify the performance of your candidates to create a ranking system that will make hiring easier.
- Custom testing methods designed specifically for what you need
- Support for over 80 programming languages and technologies
- Automated assessment of complicated coding challenges
- Platform for continuing education
- Real-time feedback in educational channel
- Free 14-day trial, then customized pricing based on features
This platform is multifunctional, so it's a great option if you're looking to assess and recruit programmers as well as offer tutoring and continuing education to current programmers.
G2 Rating: 4.8/5 (6+ reviews)
CodeSubmit focuses on providing real-world tasks with their take-home coding challenges and pair-programming environments for technical interviews. They offer shorter coding challenges with predefined tests and real tasks for deep dives with candidates you're seriously considering.
- CodePlay container allows you to run submissions in a variety of formats directly from your browser, including CodePlay Mobile for simulating Android and iOS environments
- Offers Screening Bytes, short coding problems that are automatically evaluated for screening
- Over 60 supported languages and frameworks
- Customize assessments with your own branding
- Pricing starts at $99 per month for their Start Up package and goes up to $349 per month for their Business package
CodeSubmit will work best for companies that don't need a comprehensive solution and are primarily looking to screen select candidates and deeply evaluate their top picks. If you're trying to recruit candidates or screen them before they apply, this probably isn't the best option for you since even their Business package is limited to 60 candidates per month.
G2 Rating: 4.8/5 (6+ reviews)
CodinGame is a platform for developers to improve their coding talent as well as for businesses to evaluate tech skills. Their tech-friendly, hands-on coding tests can be set up in five clicks with no prior programming knowledge.
- Covers front-end, back-end, and full-stack skills at all seniority levels with over 80 predefined job roles
- Offers over 3,500 coding challenges that test over 60 technologies and frameworks
- Easy-to-understand assessments make it easy for non-tech recruiters to evaluate and rank candidates
- Gamified testing sessions reduce test anxiety and keep candidates engaged
If your company is a fun place to work that prioritizes creativity and engagement, CodinGame is a great platform. It's an engaging and appealing recruiting method for programmers who currently use the platform to improve their skills.
Capterra Rating: 4.8 (4+ reviews)
CodeSignal is a comprehensive developer assessment platform that lets you handle all aspects of testing and interviewing in one place. It uses role-based assessments that go beyond just testing algorithms.
- Certified assessments using standardized technical tests validated by top companies
- Tests over 70 languages and tools
- Plagiarism checker and keystroke playback
- Live on-site or remote collaborative interviewing capabilities
CodeSignal is ideal for companies that want a one-stop solution for hiring and interviewing developers. By integrating interviewing into the platform, CodeSignal puts all recruitment tools at your fingertips.
Capterra Rating: 4.7/5 (43+ reviews)
Adaface is a candidate-friendly assessment platform that gives you a realistic evaluation of on-the-job skills. Their conversational, customized assessments help you find the most qualified candidates. Their conversational chatbots set a friendly rather than adversarial tone from the beginning.
- Psychometric tests identify key personality traits to find the right fit for your company culture
- Aptitude tests evaluate cognitive and reasoning ability
- Tests over 700 skills
- Automated recruitment process for hiring recent graduates
If you want to attract engineers who are opposed to doing coding tests, Adaface is for you. They're also great for companies looking to automate much of the process of hiring new grads.
Capterra Rating: 4.7/5 (12+ reviews)
Triplebyte facilitates the process of sourcing and connecting with highly skilled engineers. It's a database of over 100,000 skilled engineers, most of whom have already passed technical skills assessments and have their qualifications in their profile. While it's a tech talent platform, it also offers free screening of applicants, so you use it to assess candidates who aren't on the platform.
- Screen applicants for free
- Choose from thousands of prescreened engineers
- Wide range of developer types
- Detailed explanation of skill sets of different types of engineers
TripleByte is best for companies that are looking to source prescreened talent. You don't need to bother with posting listings and screening your own talent. Engineers have their skills and technical assessments listed in their profiles. It's also a good option for companies on a budget since they offer free screening for candidates.
G2 Rating: 4.6/5 (44+ reviews)
Codility lets you eliminate bias from your hiring decisions and gives recruiters an objective way to compare candidates. It's the number one rated technical recruitment platform for teams to make evidence-based hiring decisions.
- Virtual whiteboard interview with CodeLive
- Create pre-interview tests based on the roles you're hiring
- Offer online coding challenges at recruitment events
- Tests over 40 languages and abilities
Codility is perfect for large businesses that need enterprise-level compliance who are hiring a wide range of tech roles, from interns to data scientists.
Capterra Rating: 4.6/5 (23+ reviews)
See beyond professionally written CVs to the skills beneath. HackerEarth standardizes developer hiring and engagement to cut hiring time in half. It lets your recruitment team screen and interview top candidates.
- Evaluates for over 80 skills and 12 job roles with a library of over 13,000 questions
- Automatic leader board generated for every assessment
- Quickly create assessments based on job description, role, or required skills
- Built-in proctoring system
This platform is best for companies who want the extra security that a robust, built-in proctoring system provides. It reports tab switching, doesn't allow pasting, and lets you customize the level of stringency.
Capterra Rating: 4.6/5 (11+ reviews)
TestGorilla helps predict actual work performance five times better than relying on a resume alone. Their automatic grading and ranking system lets you focus on hiring the best candidates instead of weeding out the unqualified ones.
- Pick from a library of tests or create your own
- Tests are created and peer-reviewed by subject matter experts
- Snapshots of candidates as they're being tested to prevent cheating
- Offers mobile-friendly options
- Personality and value tests to get to know candidates
TestGorilla is best for companies who are looking to hire based on more than just technical skills. Their values-based and personality testing options help you find the best fit for your team.
Capterra Rating: 4.5/5 (107+ reviews)
Vervoe is an assessment platform that lets every candidate show you what they can do, regardless of their background. You can hire the best candidates and be sure their skills are job-ready.
- AI assessment lets you test specific technical skills as well as soft skills such as communication
- Customize your assessments by training the AI to align with your values
- Add your branding to messages and assessments
- Over 10 immersive question types, including video responses and coding challenges
Vervo is the best option for companies that are looking to combine interpersonal and technical skills assessments into one seamless process.
Capterra Rating: 4.5/5 (65+ reviews)
CoderByte covers all stages of the technical recruiting process. It offers code screening, code interviews, and code assessments in a format that candidates love.
- Multiple choice questions, challenges, and open-ended questions in over 30 languages and skills
- Detailed reports that analyze how candidates code, including how they think and troubleshoot
- All-inclusive, unlimited access for $199/month
- Create new workflows or migrate them from existing platforms
If you're looking for all-inclusive pricing and a variety of testing methodologies, CoderByte is a great option. They're also affordable if you're hiring on a budget.
Capterra Rating: 4.5/5 (46+ reviews)
Whether you need to hire at scale or you're looking to fill one specialized position, HireVue can meet your company's needs. They have a team of support specialists who can create custom solutions. HireVue was named a Top Product of 2021 by Human Resources Executive Magazine.
- Live and on-demand interviewing software to create a more convenient process for hiring managers
- Pre-hire assessments to ensure unbiased evaluation based solely on merit
- AI provides 24/7 candidate engagement and automated workflow
- Structured interview guide vetted by psychologists to provide consistency and fairness
Their unbiased, merit-based platform is suitable for companies looking for an end-to-end solution that's easy for their non-tech HR team to navigate.
Capterra Rating: 4.5/5 (40+ reviews)
The HackerRank Developer Skills Platform is the industry standard for technical hiring. It's used by over 2,600 companies — with over 25% of those being Fortune 100 companies.
- Offers millions of fair, valid, and reliable assessments
- Tested for compliance and bias
- Custom or pre-built testing in over 95 technical roles, 40 languages, and eight frameworks
- Plagiarism and proctoring controls
Their complete process covers planning, sourcing, screening, interviewing, and ranking, so it's optimal for companies who need to recruit and hire at scale. Their experience working with Fortune 100 companies is a plus for large, global organizations.
Capterra Rating: 4.5/5 (39+ reviews)
Imocha's remote-ready platform offers comprehensive skills testing, video assessments, and AI proctoring to help you assess and hire the best talent from around the world.
- Over 2,000 calibrated assessments
- Live, remote interviews
- Easy integration with leading ATS
- Combination of technical and functional skills assessments
- AI LogicBox can assess coders in languages that don't have online compilers
Imocha is a solid choice for companies that are looking to put control on recruiting and place hiring in the hands of their non-tech HR departments. Give your tech team a break with Imocha's automated, DIY integration.
Capterra Rating 4.5/5 (28+ reviews)
Qualified works with you to create the ideal developer assessment process for your needs. This ensures their assessments are in line with the real-world work environment. It helps better predict candidates' actual job performance.
- Embed assessments into your content or workflow for easy access
- Detailed reports that outline demonstrated skills and can be used for continuing education initiatives
- Automatic check for coding similarity to ensure original work
- Turn any assessment into a pair-programming session to work through assessments and gain insight into the developer's thought process
- Option to build your own project-based coding challenges
Qualified will work well with companies that have their engineering teams heavily involved in the recruiting and hiring process. This is a great option if you know what you want to be included in assessments but you're looking for the ease of an existing platform.
Capterra Ratings: 4.5/5 (6+ reviews)
Xobin lets you screen over 1,000 skills for roles, ranging from managerial to the latest tech. Their online assessment can reduce your time to hire from over 30 days to five days.
- Unlimited assessments so you can invite as many applicants as you want to test, increasing your pool of candidates
- Video assessments for shortlisted candidates who've passed the skills assessments
- Campus recruitment software to streamline hiring new grads
- Psychometric testing to gain insights into behavior and personality
- Over 500 coding questions that work with integrated compilers for skills-based or role-based assessments
- Essential plan starts at $199 per month, standard plan is $699 per month, and custom pricing for high traffic solutions
Xobin is a great option for companies that are interested in testing candidates at scale to include as many applicants as possible. It's also ideal for companies hiring for more than just tech talent who still want a one-stop platform.
Capterra Rating: 4.5/5 (4+ reviews)
WeCP can reduce your time to hire by 90%. Their challenging questions and smooth interview process will have top candidates choosing your company. Their intuitive interface allows you to create your assessment in minutes, whether you're using their pre-built tests or adding your own questions.
- Change the skill distribution on tests
- Option to restrict access or allow anyone to apply
- Anti-cheating measures, including AI-based proctoring, question shuffling, and plagiarism checkers
- Live test monitoring
- Automatically schedule interviews with qualified candidates
WeCP is for hiring managers who have seen it all and are looking for new and innovative questions. You'll also like this if you're looking for a candidate-friendly experience that will impress job-seekers.
Capterra Rating: 4.4/5 (8+ reviews)
Otomeyt creates an efficient, consistent hiring process. You don't have to worry about overlooking candidates that lack a pedigree but possess the skills you need. Otomeyt isn't just a testing platform — it's set up to allow you to source, assess, and interview the best applicants for your positions.
- Scaled packages for smaller companies to enterprise customers
- Dedicated customer support that provides in-depth training for recruiters
- Cloud-based workflow management tool designed to maximize engagement
- Compliance management tool designed to measure compliance against established expectations
- AI-powered platform to assess non-tech talent as well
- Basic package is $150 per month, Start Up package is $550 per month, and enterprise solutions are customized
Their platform will work well for companies that are looking to take advantage of data-backed AI programming to assess for both tech and non-tech roles. Additionally, companies who need to track compliance will find their compliance management tool especially appealing.
G2 Rating: 4.3/5 (41+ reviews)
Screen hundreds of candidates in seconds with TestDome's platform. By using TestDome as the first step in your hiring process, you don't have to worry about sorting through resumes to figure out which candidates to test. Simply include your TestDome link with your job posting to filter out unqualified applicants.
- Pre-built tests that cover skills ranging from customer support to mechanical engineering
- Customize your tests to refine the process
- Pricing plans that go from $7 to $10 per candidate, with no need for subscriptions
- Multi-user accounts with internal sharing at no additional charge
TestDome is for companies that would rather buy tests in bulk when they need them instead of paying a subscription. If your company hires sporadically rather than continually, it's a good choice.
Capterra Rating: 4.3/5 (36+ reviews)
Mercer Mettl offers solutions that go beyond just assessments for new hires. Their platform gives you options for campus, lateral, and technical hiring as well as learning and development. They also let you host "hackathons" when you want to engage your current developers in finding innovative ideas.
- Proctored, scalable assessment platform
- Comprehensive coding assessment environment
- Spoken English assessments to evaluate communication skills
- Campus hiring platform for recruiting recent graduates
- Pricing model based on usage and features, allowing you to only pay for what you need
Mercer Mettl is a good fit for companies that want a comprehensive testing and learning platform for new and lateral hires throughout the organization. Hiring managers who want to be able to screen for communication skills, cognitive abilities, and behavioral traits will love Mercer Mettl.
Capterra Rating: 4.2/5 (16+ reviews)
CoderPad has worked with over 3,300 companies to assess candidates accurately, increase team efficiency, and reduce bias. They provide services and products for screening, evaluating, and interviewing top tech talent.
- Supports over 30 programming languages in over 60 technologies and frameworks
- Over 80 predefined roles and seniority levels
- Collaborates with CodinGame to provide developer-friendly tech assessments
- Provides take-home projects with optional automated scoring for candidates further down in your funnel
- Interview "pad" provides an online IDE for interactive coding interviews
If you're only hiring tech talent and you want to provide a fun but thorough testing experience for your candidates, CoderPad's collaboration with CodinGame could be just what you're looking for. They offer pricing plans that start at $50 and grow with your team.
G2 Rating: 4.2/5 (8+ reviews)
Hired Assessments (aka Py)
Hired builds powerful, flexible tools to evaluate engineering talent at all levels, from junior developers to PhDs. Hired has options for discovering new talent as well as screening, deeply evaluating, and interviewing candidates. Their challenges evaluate communication and critical thinking skills as well as tech skills. These challenges are designed to provide the best experience for your applicants in addition to providing you with detailed insights about their qualifications.
- Code execution lets you easily run real code with just a click
- Choose from a question bank or create your own
- Support for popular languages
- Video recording gives candidates the ability to explain their thinking during the challenge
- Admin dashboard that lets you track performance, compare individuals to previous candidates, and share information with your team
Hired is for companies who are looking for more than just technical skills. Their real-world problems and live coding challenges show you how your candidates problem solve and think on their feet.
Capterra Rating: 4.1/5 (267+ reviews)
Glider's products set a higher standard across all aspects of hiring. Because they believe quality and compliance go hand-in-hand, they comply with international data protection regulations, the ADA, SOC2 requirements, EEO, and more. Their products start at the top of the funnel with screening. The process continues down the funnel with simulations and multi-device proctoring.
- Screen bot allows auto screening by incorporating customizable interaction with each applicant
- Guides recruiters through technical interviews that generate automatic candidate skills assessments
- Assessments span all roles in any industry — not just tech skills
- Customizable questions assess skills, personality, and overall competence
- Simulations based on real-world projects to evaluate intuition, creativity, and skill
If your company needs to hire the best talent in a wide variety of roles, Glider may be the solution. While they offer full-stack tech skills assessment as well as roles such as data scientist and QA, they are one of the few platforms that provide assessments for every role in any industry.
Capterra Rating: 3.6/5 (7+ reviews)
LeetCode is one of the most popular ways for developers to prepare for technical interviews. They also help companies identify tech talent by sponsoring contests and providing online assessment and training. You'll have to reach out for a complete list of their features, but they're known for offering developers the following tools:
- Largest tech community, supporting hundreds of thousands of users
- Over 2,100 questions to practice
- Organized pathway of career development through their Explore tool
LeetCode has a lot of experience generating practice test questions for tech interviews, so they may be a good fit for your company if you're looking for an assessment platform that's been around awhile and has a large user base.
Honorable mention - no ratings on G2 or Capterra.
Byteboard redesigned the technical interview process to focus on evaluating real engineering skills. Their highly predictive project-based interview simulates the type of asynchronous engineering work that happens on the job.
- Unique questions created by experts and evaluated with structured rubrics to ensure fairness
- Candidates decide when to take the interview and Byteboard provides a detailed performance assessment
- Time-boxed interviews simulate actual asynchronous engineering work
- Offers back-end, web, mobile, and data engineering interviews
- Fully anonymized evaluations to eliminate bias
Byteboard works well for companies that need a deep evaluation of how a candidate will perform on the job. This isn't the service for you if you're looking to source and screen thousands of candidates or trying to run a massive recruiting event. It's best for later in the funnel when you've narrowed down your candidates.
Honorable mention - no ratings on G2 or Capterra.
CodeScreen bypasses using inaccurate and inefficient evaluation methods such as brain teasers and live coding sessions. Instead, they use realistic, asynchronous challenges that give candidates the chance to showcase their true abilities without the stress of on-the-spot paired coding interviews.
- Choose from an in-house library of tests or create your own
- CodeScreen provides access to a private GitHub repository for candidates to complete tests
- A candidate completes the test in a set amount of time
- CodeScreen evaluates the test and delivers a detailed analysis
- Pricing starts at $249 per month and all plans include a 7-day free trial
Companies looking for a complete evaluation of how their top applicants will perform on the job will like this approach. Providing time-bound tasks that candidates can work on when and where they feel most comfortable takes a lot of stress out of the equation and lets their best work shine through.
Honorable mention - no reviews on G2 or Capterra.
Revelo: sourcing, code assessments, and hiring in one solution
Revelo is a tech hiring platform that rigorously assesses all candidates in its talent pool over hours of live interviews and coding challenges. You can source and hire global developers who work in US time zones without having to run your own developer assessments or subscribing to standalone assessment tools - we do the vetting for you. Contact us to learn how we can scale your remote engineering team.