Python is one of the top programming languages in the world, and Python developers are in high demand. A Python developer writes, tests, and maintains server-side code in the Python language to develop and improve software applications. Python developers also create and maintain Python-based applications, test code accuracy, and ensure it meets industry standards. They work with data scientists, software engineers, and other IT professionals to develop applications to meet business needs.
If you’re interested in becoming a Python developer or you need to hire one, this article will help you understand what they do, their salary range, and the qualifications required to be successful. You will also find tips on how to hire Python developers for your organization.
What Is Python Development?
Software development in Python uses the Python programming language to create applications, websites, and other software solutions. Web development, data science, system scripting, and desktop GUI applications use Python. It is a high-level, object-oriented language allowing developers to easily build complex applications.
Companies like Google, Yahoo!, Disney, and IBM use Python to develop their websites and applications. The language is versatile and user-friendly, making it a popular language. It is also popular for testing microservices, developing natural language processing applications, and creating blockchain-related products.
What Does a Python Developer Do?
Python software developers create, maintain, and enhance the Python codebase of an application. They handle writing server-side web application logic and integrating it with the Python application. They ensure the application is secure, well organized, and compliant with industry standards.
Here are some general roles and responsibilities you can expect from a Python software developer in a professional setting:
- Designing, developing, and deploying Python applications, programs, services, and packages
- Developing and maintaining codebases for web applications, desktop GUI applications, and other Python-related software solutions
- Performing, testing, and debugging Python code to ensure accuracy and quality standards
- Implementing Python libraries and frameworks to increase the scalability and performance of Python applications
- Integrating Python solutions with existing third-party web services
- Collaborating with other developers to develop Python applications, libraries, and frameworks
- Troubleshooting code errors and issues
Python Software Developer Skills
When looking for the ideal Python developer to join your team or if you’re preparing for a career as a Python developer, consider a combination of technical and interpersonal skills. Simply having coding know-how is not enough. Here are a few critical skills you should consider when looking for a Python developer.
Soft skills are the personal attributes, behaviors, and social graces enabling someone to interact effectively and harmoniously with others. Examples of Python developer soft skills include:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to work independently or in a collaborative environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
Hard skills are those specific to technical knowledge and training, such as coding and programming. Examples of Python developer hard skills include:
- Expertise in Python development framework
- Proficiency in Python programming language and development tools
- Strong knowledge of server-side frameworks, such as Django and Flask
- Experience with Python libraries and frameworks such as NumPy, SciPy, and Pandas
- Advanced knowledge of software engineering and web development processes
- Proficiency in database technologies, such as MySQL and MongoDB
- Experience with version control systems, such as GIT and SVN
- Experience with DevOps tools, such as Jenkins, Ansible, and Docker
- Knowledge of security and data protection best practices
- Experience with cloud technologies, such as Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure
Technical skills are the specific abilities and knowledge needed to complete technical tasks. Examples of Python developer technical skills include:
- Practical experience in Python development
- Understanding of Python testing frameworks
- Proficiency in Python web development
- Familiarity with Python GUI libraries, such as Tkinter and PyQt
- Experience in Python object-oriented programming
- Knowledge of Python coding standards and best practices
- Ability to optimize Python applications for performance and scalability
- Experience with Python scripting and automation
Types of Python Developers
Python software developers fall into two major categories: full stack and backend.
Fullstack Python Developer
Backend Python Developer
A backend Python developer handles developing and maintaining the server side of an application. They must have expertise in server-side programming languages like Python, Ruby, Java, and PHP. This type of developer works with the application's data layer, databases, web services, and APIs.
Python Developer Salary
According to Glassdoor, the average annual Python developer salary is $102,193 in the United States. Of course, this figure varies depending on the developer's experience and years in the industry.
- Junior or entry-level: A junior or entry-level Python developer has zero to three years of experience. They typically handle simple Python programming tasks and have basic knowledge of Python development frameworks. According to Glassdoor, an entry-level Python developer in the US makes an annual salary of $96,228.
- Mid-level: A mid-level Python developer has four to six years of Python development experience. This Python developer can handle more challenging and complex programming tasks like developing Python web applications. According to Glassdoor, a mid-level Python developer in the US makes an annual salary of $113,877.
Senior-level: A senior Python developer has 10 to 14 years of Python development experience. This Python developer typically works on complex projects and has advanced Python programming skills. They may also hold managerial roles, such as leading Python development teams. According to Glassdoor, a senior-level Python developer in the US makes an annual salary of $131,124.
While developers in Latin American countries are equally skilled, the lower cost of living means they’re usually paid 30%-50% less than their US counterparts, with salaries varying based on location and experience. Revelo provides a cost-effective solution while offering highly qualified, pre-vetted Latin American developers.
Best Software for Python Software Developers
Python developers must have access to the right tools and software to succeed. Here are some of the best Python development software that Python developers should use:
- PyCharm: PyCharm is an integrated development environment (IDE) for Python programming. It provides Python developers with a robust set of coding tools and Python development features, such as intelligent code completion, refactoring, debugging, and unit testing.
- Sublime Text: Sublime Text is a free Python code editor with features such as multiple selections, a command palette, and Python syntax highlighting. It also supports Python development frameworks, such as Django and Flask.
- Visual Studio Code: Visual Studio Code is a code editor from Microsoft and has an extensive development library of plugins for programming tasks such as debugging and code refactoring.
Programming Languages for Python Developers
How to Hire a Python Developer
You can approach the hiring process in various ways when looking for Python developers. Here are a few tips for hiring Python developers who best meet your organization's needs.
Develop a Comprehensive Hiring Process
Have a recruitment plan outlining the steps to hire the right Python developer. This plan should include reviewing resumes, conducting phone interviews, and performing technical assessments.
Create an Accurate Job Description
When writing Python developer job descriptions, make sure they are clear and accurate. Specify the responsibilities and expectations of the job and the required qualifications.
Look for a Strong Portfolio
A strong portfolio shows that a Python developer has the skills and qualifications you seek. Ask potential candidates to show you samples of their Python development work to get an idea of their skills.
Do a Background Check
Before hiring Python developers for your organization, do a background check to ensure they have the Python development skills and experience you seek.
Using a recruitment agency efficiently finds Python developers with the right qualifications and experience. Recruitment agencies can help you connect with qualified, experienced Python developers who will fit your organization’s needs.
Hire a Python Developer With Revelo
Starting the process of hiring a Python developer can seem daunting and time-consuming. Fortunately, Revelo makes the process easier and more efficient. Our talent marketplace connects tech companies in the United States with vetted remote software engineers from Latin America. We have a pool of experienced and qualified Python developers ready for your project. With our straightforward process, you can quickly find the right Python developer for your organization without hassle.
Ready to get started? Contact us today to learn more about our services and how we can help you hire Python developers for your organization.