A Scrum Master is a professional who guides teams using Agile methods. With Scrum values in mind, they handle communication and teamwork between leaders and team members to make sure the project is optimally completed.
A Scrum Master needs soft skills like effective communication, hard skills like the ability to conduct Agile ceremonies, and technical skills like using programming languages and software development concepts.
A clear and compelling job description will help you hire the right people. Revelo has years of experience assisting companies to hire Scrum Masters. In this guide, we’ll share what to include in a Scrum Master job description so you attract the best talent.
Scrum Master Job Description Template
Feel free to use the template below for your job posting to hire a qualified Scrum Master. When you post the role, clearly state your requirements and what tasks the candidate will be responsible for if they get the position. Being clear and concise will help give candidates a good understanding of what the job involves.
We're looking for a highly skilled Scrum Master to join our team. As a Scrum Master, you'll be responsible for efficient project execution, facilitating communication between team members and project managers, ensuring Agile is followed, and removing project roadblocks. As a servant leader, you'll work with our development, data analytics, and business intelligence teams and contribute to various projects, including software development, process improvements, and training through daily Scrum events.
Scrum Master Responsibilities
Your Scrum Master’s roles and responsibilities will look different depending on your company, project, and team, but typical duties include:
- Coaching the software development team for optimal performance and growth
- Holding one-on-one meetings for Agile coaching
- Conducting Scrum team ceremonies to enhance efficiency and eliminate backlog
- Promoting scaled Agile framework (SAFe) quality practices across teams, stakeholders, and projects
- Administering the Scrum board to visualize and manage workflows
- Removing impediments to progress
Scrum Master Qualifications
To do well as a Scrum Master, candidates should have a combination of relevant education, experience, and skills. While employers almost always require Agile certification, a bachelor’s degree isn’t always necessary. Usually, qualifications for this position include:
- Agile Scrum Master certification
- 3+ years of experience in an Agile work environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication, collaboration, and presentation skills
- Solid understanding of software development
- Ability to work in an iterative, changing environment
- Experience creating Scrum metrics and holding accountability to them
- Experience using Jira, Asana, or other Agile project management tools
Scrum Master Skills
Soft, hard, and technical skills are all important to include in your Scrum Master job description. You want someone with Agile and Scrum expertise and interpersonal abilities to guide teams and act as a servant-leader.
Soft skills are the key to building strong relationships and effective communication in any team or workplace. Consider including:
- Adaptability: Scrum environments are dynamic and quickly changing.
- Conflict resolution: Scrum Masters must be able to guide teams to mutually agreeable solutions in conflict.
- Effective communication and emotional intelligence: Active listening, empathy, and straightforward communication help build trust and strong teams.
Hard skills provide the specific expertise and technical knowledge necessary to accomplish tasks and solve complex problems. Consider including the following required hard skills:
- Agile methodologies: A deep understanding of various Agile frameworks, such as Scrum, Kanban, and Lean, is essential for effectively implementing Agile practices.
- Facilitation techniques: Proficiency in conducting Agile ceremonies like sprint planning, daily stand-ups, sprint reviews, and retrospectives assists team productivity.
- Problem-solving and decision-making: Those in the Scrum Master role need strong analytical skills to identify a project’s bottlenecks, potential risks, and solutions.
Technical skills are crucial for navigating the intricacies of modern technology and ensuring successful project execution. Some specific ones for this role include:
- Project management software: Proficiency with project management software in an Agile setting, such as Jira, Digital.ai Agility, Asana, and Microsoft Azure DevOps, is critical.
- Technical terminology: Understanding programming languages and technical terminology helps Scrum Masters effectively communicate with development teams and product owners, understand project requirements, and fix technical challenges.
- Basic data analysis: Skills using basic data analysis tools like Excel or Google Sheets to track project metrics and team performance is helpful.
Compensation and Benefits
Including a competitive salary range and benefits package tailored to the experience level you’re looking for will help you attract qualified candidates. Benefits may include flexible working hours, career development opportunities, health insurance packages, or retirement savings funds.
Include a short section about your company’s values, mission, what sets you apart, and why someone would want to work for you. This is a crucial section for attracting top talent as it helps you set expectations, find aligned candidates, and showcase your company culture.
Hire Scrum Masters With Revelo
It can be challenging to source, vet, and hire candidates, but Revelo can help. We can match you with a highly qualified Scrum Master on our platform. Our Scrum Masters are time-zone-aligned and rigorously vetted for technical skills, soft skills, and English proficiency. Revelo can also support companies and provide seamless hiring by managing payroll, benefits administration, taxes, and local compliance adherence so you can focus on growing your business.
Need a highly qualified Scrum Master? Contact us to get started today.