Systems engineers design, implement, and manage an organization's critical IT infrastructure, spanning networks, servers, and software applications. They’re the architects behind the scenes, making sure that all components work in harmony to achieve optimal system performance and security.
A systems engineer's expertise in configuring, optimizing, and troubleshooting installed systems minimizes downtime and contributes to cost-effectiveness and scalability. Their role extends beyond technical skills to include strategic thinking, risk assessment, and the capacity to align technology solutions with broader organizational goals.
As data security and architecture become more important than ever before, it can be difficult to find the right candidate to protect and optimize software infrastructure. At Revelo, we’ve helped companies hire top systems engineers — and writing clear, compelling job descriptions is a key part of that process.
Systems Engineer Job Description Template
You can use the following template for your systems engineer job ad. Make sure to include qualifications, skills, and job duties to attract the right candidates and let them know what to expect in the role.
Systems engineers are at the forefront of architecting and maintaining the backbone of technological infrastructure. Their primary responsibilities include designing, implementing, and optimizing complex IT system architecture, including networks, servers, and application software. Systems engineers will collaborate closely with other teams, supporting their technical needs while ensuring the reliability, system security, and scalability of new systems.
The ideal candidate for this role is a seasoned systems engineer with a strong background in configuring and fine-tuning intricate systems and infrastructure. A systems engineer should have a deep understanding of network protocols, server administration, and virtualization technologies. They will work on various projects, from infrastructure optimization to cloud migrations, and support various departments, from software development to cybersecurity.
Systems Engineer Responsibilities
Because a systems engineer provides such a wide range of services, it can be difficult to write a comprehensive list of responsibilities unless the role is established in your organization. Responsibilities for this role may vary from company to company, but you’ll generally want to include the following in your systems engineer job description:
- Design and maintain network infrastructures to ensure efficient data communication
- Install, configure, and optimize server environments for performance and reliability
- Troubleshoot hardware and software issues in existing systems and promptly resolve technical problems
- Manage backups, data storage, and disaster recovery plans to safeguard critical data
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to support their technical needs and project requirements
- Develop and implement automation scripts to streamline system management tasks
- Perform routine system updates, patch system management tools, and software installations
- Monitor system performance and capacity planning to ensure optimal operation
- Create and maintain documentation, including system configurations and procedures
Systems Engineer Qualifications
A qualified system engineer will generally have the following combination of skills, education, and experience:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field
- Proven experience in system engineering and analysis, network administration, or a similar role
- Strong knowledge of virtualization technologies such as VMware or Hyper-V
- Familiarity with cloud computing platforms like AWS, Azure, or Linux based environments
- Experience with scripting languages like PowerShell or Python for automation tasks
- Solid understanding of network protocols, routing, and switching
Systems Engineer Skills
Soft, hard, and technical skills work together to make a candidate successful at your company. Make sure to include all of them in your job description to hire a comprehensive, well-rounded systems engineer.
Incorporating soft skills in a systems engineer job description will help you find someone who can contribute to effective team communication, collaboration, and problem-solving. Consider including the following:
- Capable of conveying technical information to both technical and non-technical team members and stakeholders
- Able to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams
- Adaptable and open to learning new technologies and methodologies to stay effective in their roles
Having the right hard skills helps a systems engineer effectively tackle complex challenges in your organization. These include the following:
- Proficiency in configuring and maintaining network devices, protocols, and services to ensure seamless communication and data transfer
- Expertise in managing server environments, including installation, configuration, and maintenance of operating systems and server hardware
- Knowledge of virtualization platforms such as VMware or Hyper-V for optimizing resource utilization and managing virtual machines efficiently
Technical skills are essential for successfully navigating this role, and relevant ones for this role include the following:
- Proficiency in storage technologies such as storage area network (SAN) or network-attached storage (NAS) to manage and optimize data storage systems effectively
- Knowledge of containerization technologies like Docker and container orchestration platforms such as Kubernetes
- Strong scripting skills using languages like PowerShell or Python to automate repetitive tasks and improve efficiency in systems management
Compensation and Benefits
Including a specific salary range and will help you bring in the top candidates who usually have an idea of what they’re looking for. Consider including any health insurance benefits in addition to other unique benefits, such as tuition reimbursement, continued education, fitness programs, and more.
What is your company’s mission and why do the top candidates decide to work for you? Be clear in explaining what makes your organization unique and if developers have an opportunity for growth. Laying this out will help the right people find you and set expectations from the start.
Hire Systems Engineers With Revelo
It can be time-consuming to find, interview, vet, and hire systems engineers. At Revelo, we’ve been helping companies do that for years. We can match you with a highly qualified systems engineer on our platform — already vetted for time zone alignment, technical skills, soft skills, and English proficiency. Our team also provides payroll, benefits administration, and local compliance support, so candidates get fair pay and you can focus on growing your business.
Contact us to find a qualified systems engineer today.