Solutions engineers use deep technical expertise to promote and tailor software offerings to potential customers. They showcase product capabilities and address complex technical inquiries from clients. Beyond the sale, they foster ongoing client relationships by understanding the hurdles clients face and communicating those to the development team.
Creating a detailed, precise job description helps organizations attract and hire top solutions engineers and create new business opportunities.
Solutions Engineer Job Description Template
Solutions engineers have become increasingly essential as companies seek to align software products closely with client business needs. While job responsibilities will vary from company to company, there are some key details needed in a competitive job description. Use this template to include the essential information needed in a solutions engineer role.
A solutions engineer, sometimes referred to as a solutions architect, acts as a tech expert on the sales team, explaining the ins and outs of technology to clients and making sure the technology performs its intended functions. A solutions engineer works closely with both the sales team and the product developers, turning complex technical ideas into understandable and attractive solutions. Top solutions engineers have a strong technical understanding of key products paired with an empathetic, customer-minded attitude.
Some examples of projects solutions engineers work on include:
- Customization: Collaborating with product development teams to tailor technology solutions for specific client needs.
- Presentation: Leading the technical aspect of sales presentations, demonstrating product capabilities, and configuring demonstrations to align with prospective client challenges and requirements.
- Iteration: Managing and executing pilot programs for new technologies, overseeing the testing phase, and gathering feedback to drive improvements before full-scale deployment.
Solutions Engineer Responsibilities
Solutions engineers develop custom solutions for clients, streamline processes, and enhance tech infrastructure to support business objectives. Junior solutions engineers often focus on support tasks and learning the core technologies, while seniors take on leadership roles, identify strategies, and make high-level decisions.
Responsibilities for a solutions engineer may include:
- Designing and developing technical solutions tailored to client requirements
- Optimizing processes to improve efficiency and client satisfaction
- Evaluating and enhancing infrastructure to support solution implementation and scaling
- Mentoring junior engineers and leading project teams (senior solutions engineer)
- Coordinating cross-departmental efforts to ensure solution compatibility and success
Solutions Engineer Qualifications
A solutions engineer needs a solid educational foundation in a technical field—often a degree in computer science, engineering, or a related discipline. The role demands a combination of technical proficiency and strong interpersonal skills to interact effectively with clients and team members.
Qualifications for a solutions engineer role typically include:
- Bachelor's or master's degree in computer science, engineering, or related field
- Experience with software development, system architecture, and design
- Proficiency in programming languages relevant to the company's tech stack
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills
- Experience with project management tools and methodologies
Solutions Engineer Skills
For a solutions engineer, a mix of soft, hard, and technical skills is critical. Soft skills, like explaining complex technical details or working smoothly with a team, are as key as hard skills. Verify all these skills to find an expert solutions engineer.
Soft skills are necessary for collaborating with customers and internal teams. Internal teams must understand what the customer needs, and the customer must understand how a specific solution meets their needs. Look for skills like:
- Communication skills: Articulating complex technical concepts in an understandable way to clients and stakeholders
- Client relations: Building and maintaining strong relationships, understanding client needs, and providing tailored solutions
- Adaptability: Adjusting to new challenges and changes in technology or project requirements swiftly
Hard skills are the tangible and specific abilities that a solutions engineer uses to turn technical expertise into real-world applications. Mastery of these skills is critical for designing, deploying, and refining technological solutions that meet client needs:
- Technical design: Crafting detailed solution architectures aligning with client objectives and technological capabilities
- Project management: Leading project timelines through Agile methodologies or other frameworks with precision for successful solution implementation
- Systems analysis: Evaluating and integrating complex system components to develop cohesive and efficient technological solutions
Technical skills allow solutions engineers to translate complex problems into workable technology solutions. To find a candidate with the requisite technical skills, include the following:
- Programming languages: Knowledge of languages like Java, Python, or C# to develop and customize software solutions
- Methodology expertise: Familiarity with Agile, Scrum, or Waterfall to manage the development process efficiently
- Systems proficiency: Knowledgeable in business hardware and software platforms to ensure compatibility and efficiency
Compensation and Benefits
To recruit the best solutions engineers, offer a salary that matches the required expertise level and is competitive for your industry. Additional perks to highlight could encompass medical coverage, vacation days, retirement plan contributions, remote work, and educational stipends.
Solutions engineers are valuable, and companies know it. To draw the best candidates, lay out your company's mission, goals, and principles to show why your organization is the best place for the experts to work.
Hire Solutions Engineers With Revelo
While difficult, finding the ideal solutions engineer helps your company solve complex problems and drive growth. Revelo streamlines this process—we offer a talent marketplace of elite, career-minded solutions engineers from a global talent pool.
We carefully vet each candidate to make sure they have the skills they’ll need to excel. Additionally, we handle ongoing administrative tasks such as payroll, benefits administration, taxes, and local compliance, allowing you to focus on core business functions.
Contact Revelo to bring top-tier solutions engineering talent to your team.