A Java developer is responsible for designing, developing, testing, and managing Java-based apps. They are also responsible for testing and debugging updates and new applications, maintaining up-to-date Java code documentation, participating in code reviews, and collaborating with other developers.
If you want to hire a Java developer, our job template can help you create a concise and comprehensive job description to attract leading talent. The template includes a job overview, Java developer responsibilities, Java developer qualifications, and Java developer skills.
You can also gain access to Java developers by working with Revelo, Latin America's premier tech talent marketplace. Once Revelo has matched you with suitable Java devs, you can refer to our in-depth guide on Java developer interview questions to pick the best hire and leave the rest of onboarding and hiring up to us.
Java Developer Job Description Template
A well-written job description shows applicants what working for you is like. Below is an outline of the sections to include in your job description when hiring Java developers.
Start with an overview of the Java developer role and your company. Discuss what makes your position different from other Java developer positions, and include a brief summary of the hire's duties. You should also touch on your company's values, which will help you attract talent that aligns with your vision.
Here's an example:
[Company name] is a [industry] company in [city, state] that aims to [company's mission statement or purpose]. We are looking for a [level, i.e., junior or senior] Java developer with [number] years of experience building enterprise-grade Java applications.
This position also requires candidates to have a bachelor's degree in information technology, computer science, or a related discipline. They should be excellent communicators, team players, and experienced debuggers.
Java Developer Responsibilities
Java developer roles vary greatly depending on the company, but most companies hire Java devs to do the following:
- Write testable, clean, and efficient Java code
- Translate stakeholder specifications into code
- Contribute to all phases of the software development lifecycle (SDLC)
- Create documentation
- Prepare releases of app components
- Support continual improvement by researching technologies and alternatives
Java Developer Qualifications
Java developers should have the following qualifications at a minimum:
- At least a bachelor of science degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or a related field
- Some years of experience as a Java developer, dependent on the seniority of the role
Java Developer Skills
After listing the qualifications, you must establish the hard and soft skills you seek. Hard or technical requirements include skills, knowledge, and training that hires use to perform tasks. Meanwhile, soft skills are interpersonal skills that enable hires to interact effectively and harmoniously with team members.
Most Java developer jobs require the following soft and hard skills.
- An eye for detail
- Mentorship skills (for mid-level and senior Java developers)
- Time management and organizational skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience with Java (knowledge of at least two other object-oriented programming languages is preferred but not required)
- Professional experience with developing Java-based applications
- Familiarity with implementing continuous improvement
- Ample experience with object-oriented design and analysis using common design patterns
- Experience test-driving mission-critical applications
- Deep understanding of Java Enterprise Edition (JEE) and Java Virtual Machine (JVM) internals
- Experience as an Oracle-Certified Java Programmer (formerly known as a Sun-Certified Java Developer)
- Professional experience creating web apps using at least one popular web framework (i.e., Wicket, JSF, GWT, or Spring MVC)
Compensation & Benefits
You should also list the compensation and benefits for your Java position. Remember to include a salary range, the level of experience you’re looking for, and a benefits package. Companies that offer competitive benefits have higher chances of attracting the best talent.
Include a brief section about your company’s values, mission, and what sets it apart. You should also show applicants why they will want to work for your company. The more specific you are, the more likely you are to attract and retain top talent that aligns with your values.
Hire a Java Developer With Revelo
Hiring a Java developer can be daunting if you’re hiring through job fairs and sites. Not only do you have to create your own job description, but you also have to test and interview each candidate. This can easily take weeks or months, especially if you’re a small company.
But Revelo can help. As Latin America’s leading tech talent marketplace, we can match you with highly qualified Java developers in days. Our developers work in U.S. time zones and have been thoroughly vetted for English proficiency and soft and hard skills. Revelo can also provide seamless hiring by helping to manage payroll, benefits, taxes, and local compliance, so you can focus on growing your business/.
Interested in experiencing the Revelo difference? Start hiring Java developers today.